Monday, May 21, 2018

Postpartum Emotions

Integrating a new baby into the family is a big deal, both logistically and emotionally. It's a huge transition, and it always seems to happen at the same time as I'm recovering from childbirth. Funny thing about that. 😉

On days when I'm proactive about supporting my own emotions, I'm much better able help the whole family feel loved and nurtured during this time. On days when I forget... well, I'm learning to remember. Case in point: I didn't remember to turn on the diffuser this morning until I caught myself getting a little too worked up over a pair of jeans that didn't make it into the laundry. That was my cue!

All in all, the newborn phase has more sweetness and less overwhelm this time around. Part of this has to do with spending lots of time out in nature, part of it has to do with having wonderful teenagers to help out, and part of this has to do with oils.

Here's what I've been using:

Joy--this is what I've been diffusing in the mornings, to get the day off to a positive start. Makes a HUGE difference. The kids all love it, too, so that's win. Right now I'm diffusing  the blend as-is, but sometimes I add lemon or frankincense.

Progessence Plus--I've been kind of slow in jumping on the Pro+ bandwagon, but oh my gracious, I'm on it now! I've been putting two drops on my neck every morning​ since the baby was born, and if I skip a day, I definitely notice!

Clary Sage--while I was in labor, I used Sclaressence and Dragon Time, both of which are gorgeous  blends featuring clary sage. After Sibyl was born, though, I switched over to using straight clary sage, because I didn't want to risk decreasing my milk supply with the peppermint in Sclaressence, nor did I want to risk oversupply with the fennel in Dragon Time.

In those first few days while my tummy was shrinking back down (always an uncomfortable process, and this time almost as bad as labor!!) I rubbed Clary Sage onto my belly, and found it deeply soothing. Now I'm just putting a drop in my palm and breathing it in whenever I need a little more calm. I'm also putting it on the back of my neck to help with tension. Seriously, wintergreen has nothing on this amazing oil, and clary sage also smells absolutely gorgeous. It's quickly becoming a new favorite of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment